Tuesday 10 September 2013

The Hound of the Baskervilles - Arthur Conan Doyle

There are many different reasons that people decide to try a new author or a new series of books.  For me, with Sherlock Holmes it was this book that was the reason.  Scanning down the list of 100 must-read novels on the Telegraph website I decided that this seemed a good pick.  But, not one to do things by halves, I started from the beginning.  And now that I've read the target novel I plan to continue to read the others.

The Hound of the Baskervilles tells the story of the Baskerville family, and the mystery and misfortune that has surrounded them.  Although Holmes and Watson are introduced to the affair in London much of the story takes place in the Dartmoor area, where the Baskerville residence is situated.  After one prominent member of the family has met their death in strange circumstances, should the surviving heir be worried of meeting a similar fate?

I confess, it took me quite a few chapters to get into this book.  However, I should also confess that this is likely to be my fault.  Starting a new story when over-tired or sat in a noisy office will never do it justice.  Once safely curled up under a blanket on the sofa, though, I couldn't put it down.  And for this reason I am now over-tired again.

The story is engaging, so much so that even in the last few chapters once the culprit is revealed there is still the urgent need to read on and find out more.  After the short stories it was nice to return to a Sherlock Holmes book with sub-plots and twists.  So many different threads of clues to unravel and then neatly stitch back together.

This isn't a book where characters develop or the world changes drastically.  Instead it is a book that is very true to itself.  It is a detective story, and a very good one.  I would recommend reading earlier Sherlock Holmes stories first, so as to get used to the style of delivery, but if you've ever thought that this is a book you should read then you were right.

No comments:

Post a Comment